Job Duties and Tasks for: "Able Seamen"
1) Measures depth of water in shallow or unfamiliar waters, using leadline, and telephones or shouts information to bridge.
2) Breaks out, rigs, overhauls, and stows cargo-handling gear, stationary rigging, and running gear.
3) Stands watch from bow of ship or wing of bridge to look for obstruction in path of ship.
4) Steers ship and maintains visual communication with other ships.
5) Steers ship under direction of ship''s commander or navigating officer, or directs helmsman to steer, following designated course.
6) Overhauls lifeboats and lifeboat gear, and lowers or raises lifeboats with winch or falls.
7) Paints and chips rust on deck or superstructure of ship.
8) Stands by wheel when ship is on automatic pilot and verifies accuracy of course by comparing with magnetic compass.
9) Gives directions to crew engaged in cleaning wheelhouse and quarter deck.
10) Maintains ship''s log while in port, and stands gangway watch to prevent unauthorized persons from boarding ship.
11) Stows or removes cargo from ship''s hold.
12) Relays specified signals to ships in vicinity, using visual signaling devices, such as blinker light and semaphore.